Friday, January 28, 2011

The newest fresh cheese spread

I made more "lemon" cheese today. It is sooo easy. I used some in my lasagna instead of ricotta, I made some into the garlic herb spread I mentioned in the first cheese post. And I created a new cheese spread, it's very tasty. If you don't have time to make your own cheese you could try it with cream cheese or ricotta.

Laurie's Red Cheese Spread ( I'll come up with a better name eventually)

1 cup homemade cheese ( or 8 oz of cream cheese at room temp)
1 roasted red pepper (I roast them in the fall when they are plentiful at the farmer's market then freeze them on a cookie sheet, you can buy them in jars at the store, too. )
1/2 dried tomatoes ( rehydrate in boiling water, then drain)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or chili powder

Into your food processor or blender put: the roasted red pepper, tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, salt and paprika, blend until smooth. Add the cheese and blend until smooth again, scarping the sides once or twice.

Now it's ready to take to a party with fresh bread, crackers or tortilla chips.
Or use it on a fancy sandwich. It should last for 10 days in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment