Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Braised Goat Shank

I know, why goat...Bob had been talking about how good it was a while back, I saw that someone was selling it at our downtown farmer's market and asked for the best cut for a neophyte. The nice vendor gave me an organic grass-fed shank, which I promptly put in my freezer and ignored out of fear.  I was afraid it would taste gamy or that cooking it would be complicated. Turns out neither are true. In going through my freezer this weekend ( I recommend that you do this at least every few months !!) I found the forgotten shank and decided to be brave. Bob made it easier by finding me a recipe for braised goat shank.
It is so amazingly easy and tasty I would definitely make it again. And I'll bet this recipe would work with whatever kind of shank you have. The shank, by the way is the shin bone or tibia.
I didn't take a lot of photos while I was making this dish because I didn't think I would be posting about it. It is sooo easy it doesn't really need a lot of visual aids.
Here is my modified version of the recipe I used. It called for all organic so I left it that way. It also called for lemons slices, instead I threw in a handful of kumquats that Genna had sent me. I think this was a great addition. The original recipe called for a tablespoon each of salt and pepper before cooking, by mistake I left that out. Both Bob and I felt it didn't really need it. I loved that you could put it all in a pot in the oven  and literally walk away for three hours. I was so busy I didn't even look until we were about to eat. The meat was tender, falling off the bone and a very light flavor. I highly recommend serving this over mashed potatoes.

Ingredients.

    •    Grass Fed Goat Shank, 4 pc.
    •    1/3 cup Organic Olive Oil
    •    Organic Garlic, 4 clove
    •    Organic Onions, raw, 2 medium
    •    Organic Diced Tomatoes, 1 can, 15 oz
    •    Organic Red Wine, 2 cups
    •    Balsamic Vinegar, 1 tbsp
    •    Brown Sugar, 2  tbsp.
    •    1 Lemon, sliced
    •    sprigs of fresh herbs, rosemary, oregano or basil
    •    salt and pepper to taste after cooking


Directions
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
2. Layer onions on the bottom of a lidded pan. Place shanks on top. Pour wine, balsamic vinegar, and olice oil over shanks. Place cloves of garlic between the shanks. Sprinkle brown sugar on top. Pour tomatoes over everything then place lemon slices and herbs on top.
3. Cover and cook for 3 hours. Serve Immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I don't know if I can get goat but will try your recipe with perhaps lamb shanks. Thanks for the food/love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    Someone at the downtown farmer's market had the goat and I am guessing our new Westside butcher might have it: http://www.elsalchichero.com/. As you mentioned I'll bet it would work with lamb as well!!

    ReplyDelete