Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Infused Oils

I started making infused oils after tasting some from a farmer's market in Boulder, CO. The lime infused olive oil was amazing! I bought some and used it every chance I could, in salad dressing and straight on steamed or sauteed greens. Once I ran out, I knew I needed to make more. I ended up making several different kinds and giving them as gifts for the holidays. The garlic, lemon, rosemary infused olive oil has become my sister's favorite !!

Here is my thoughts on what grade of olive oil to use...something not too fancy, you will be heating it and infusing it. It seems like a waste of the extra virgin stuff, but use whatever you like.
I use a quart of  olive oil, about 6 or 7 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped, the peels from one lemon and two small sprigs of rosemary. Use the flat side of a knife to crush the garlic first, this makes it much easier to peel.The easy way to peel the lemon is to use a carrot peeler.

Place everything into a heavy bottom pan and heat slowly on low. The garlic tend to burn easily so watch it and turn it down if it begins to brown too much.

Cook gently for about 10 minutes ( you can cook it longer if you do not have garlic in it), then turn off the heat, cover and let sit for at least several hours, 24 hours is best. Strain and pour into a decorative bottle if you are giving it as a gift. It is probably a good idea to refrigerate it if you are not going to use it within a few months.

You can use a variety of other herbs like oregano, thyme, tarragon, basil, hot peppers,ginger, other citrus like limes, grapefruit, kumquats, etc...

2 comments:

  1. Hey, that sounds easy enough for me to do. Nice photos.
    :)
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flavored Vinegar
    Check out our flavored vinegar selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our condiments & sauces shops.

    ReplyDelete