Thursday, May 31, 2012

Zucchini Pancakes




It's time to get this blog back to it's foodie purpose after using it to share my travels with you.
I started cooking again two days after I returned despite my jet lag. 

I am not sure why I decided to look up zucchini pancakes...maybe it was the thought of making something different, the allure of those fresh cucurbits I had purchased at the farmer's market...
I must have looked at half a dozen recipes and some reviews of those recipes and here is what I came up with.

Zucchini Pancakes

Ingredients

2 zucchini or other summer squash
1 small onion
1  clove of garlic
1 egg
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
fresh ground pepper to taste
fresh oregano
fresh thyme
olive oil for cooking

Preheat the oven to 300 F so you can keep the pancakes warm as you cook.

1) Grate the zucchini and the onion into a large mixing bowl. I added the garlic using my garlic squeezer, you could mince it instead.
2) Add one slightly beaten egg.

3) In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients. If you want to make this gluten free just use oat or brown rice flour and gluten free bread crumbs or cracker crumbs.


4) Mix the dry ingredients into the grated stuff. Finely chop the fresh herbs and add them.
Any fresh herbs with do, basil, chives, tarragon, parsley would work well too. Or dried herbs if that is all you have, maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of two different herbs.

5) Heat olive oil in a caste iron or saute pan over a medium heat. Be sure the oil is hot enough before you drop a 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. You can make them any size you want, mine were about seven inches across because that's what fit in my pan.

6) Cook them for them for 2 to 3 minutes a side. After two or three pancakes I added more oil.  Keep them warm in the oven on a baking sheet until they are all made.

7) Serve with toppings or plain. The right has a Greek yogurt with lemon and the left is a tomato almond pate. It turns out they are great by themselves as well. I served them with a beet and goat cheese salad.

 8) They are great cold later that same night and probably the next day for breakfast or lunch. I wouldn't know since Bob ate the leftovers before I could find out.



4 comments:

  1. One of our favorite vegi recipes..My recipe uses panko crumbs. Quite delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh oh- did bob catch some sort of face fungus from australia? my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, ouch... THAT is a closely manicured accoutrement that many, many high end fashion houses in NY, LA and Brentwood prescribe as an attribute for their best clients. At worst that could be described as a 'nasty frost on a short beard' on a quite attractive person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me five times to prove I wasn't a robot. Now I'm concerned...

    ReplyDelete