Friday, March 22, 2013

Whole Orange Cake




I recently got an offer from Sunset magazine for a "senior" discount subscription, after my initial indignation, I thought, what the heck, Sunset for a year for $10, why not. One or two good recipes would make it worthwhile.

My first issue happened to be a "food" issue, score !! I saw this orange cake recipe and with my current citrus obsession decided to give it a try.

This recipe calls for two WHOLE oranges, in my first attempt I used two of my mandarins and an orange. I didn't remove the navel or any other parts. I found it to be a little bitter for my tastes but my poker game gave it rave reviews.

On my second attempt I was going for more of a brunch item. I used two oranges and removed the navels and the top end. I added some whole wheat pastry flour and walnut and did not glaze it. I loved this version, very moist, not too sweet but so full of orange flavor. Either way this is a great cake !


Whole Orange Cake
modified from a recipe from Sunset Magazine
"Every good cook needs a nice moist, dense cake in his or her repertoire. This one - loaded with orange flavor and tender flecks of peel, and not too sweet - is perfect from brunch as well as dessert."

Ingredients

Cake
Cooking-oil spray
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 oranges (about 1 lb. total), ends trimmed, then cut into chunks and seeded
2 1/2 cups flour ( or 3/4 whole wheat pastry flour, 1 3/4 unbleached white flour)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Glaze
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. orange juice
zest from one orange

1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Coat a 10-cup Bundt pan with cooking-oil spray.

 2) In a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and granulated sugar until fluffy.  Beat in eggs.
.
3) Remove the navel and ends from two oranges and chop into large chunks.

4)  Whirl orange chunks in a food processor until mostly smooth but not pureed.


5)  Add 1 1/2 cups orange mixture to batter and beat until blended.

6) In a separate bowl mix flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder, add to the orange mixture and beat until smooth. Add walnuts and fold into batter.

7)  Spread batter into prepared pan, it will be thick, don't worry it spreads out as it bakes.


8)  Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few crumbs clinging to it, about 55 minutes.


9)  Cool pan on a rack 10 minutes, then invert cake onto rack and let cool completely.

10)  Whisk together powered sugar, orange zest and orange juice in a small bowl.


11) Drizzle over cooled cake.  Let glaze set, then slice cake.

Here's how it looks without the glaze and with the walnuts. Great brunch fare !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment