Thursday, October 10, 2013

Baked Apples


We are lucky enough to have several apple trees on our small urban lot, they do quite well in our coastal climate. Years ago we attended an apple tasting event at the local grange. There were over 100 varieties to sample, we both agreed that the Cox's Orange Pippin was our favorite. We now have two trees of this apple in our front yard, they are great to eat out of hand but also wonderful for pies, sauce and baked apples.

I was asked recently to make a dessert that included apples and caramel...baked apple came to mind. It's so easy and so very versatile.

This version is very simple, I used no sugar since I knew I would be topping it with ice cream and caramel sauce.

Baked Apples

Ingredients
a dozen baking apples
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/2 cup brown sugar ( optional)

1) Preheat the oven to 350 F, butter or slightly oil a glass baking dish.
2) If you have a coring tool, it will go fasted but a paring knife or carrot peeler with a sharp tip will work as well. Core the apples.
 In the recipes I looked at they tried to get  me to not come out the other end, who are they kidding. Don't worry about that.
2) Place the apple in the baking dish.
3) In a small bowl toss together the nuts, raisins and cinnamon ( and brown sugar if you are using it.)
I used golden raisins, you can use dried cranberries, cherries or current if you prefer.

4) Stuff each apple with the nut/raisin mixture.
5) Cover with foil and back for 30 to 40 minutes depending on the size and density of your apples.
I checked mine after 30 minutes and they seemed firm still. So I let them go another 10 minutes and some of them exploded.
I am not sure why that happened to s few but not all. it didn't change the taste so I wasn't too concerned.
Now these apples are perfectly delicious as is. They can be eaten with plain yogurt or hot cereal as a great breakfast...or you can make then into a decadent fall dessert by adding vanilla ice cream and warm caramel sauce.
Here's my homemade vanilla ice cream.
 
I dare you not to eat it with a spoon.


1 comment: