Friday, August 15, 2014

Making your own tahini.


Forgive me, reader for I have sinned, it has been a month since my last blog entry...actually I am not going to apologize. I have been on a two week road trip to Louisiana and I did not take my computer, just my phone and iPad, which kept me from doing too much ;-)

I will blog about that trip since the food was fun and sometimes fabulous.
But first I need to tell you about the tahini I made right before I left.
My tech goddess, sometimes cooking muse, and always fabulous sister-in-law, mentioned offhand a while back that she made her own tahini. That's all I needed to hear. Once I ran out of the store bought variety, I went searching online for recipes.

You can use the white hulled sesame seeds, the unhulled kind or even the black sesame seeds.
Toasting the seeds give them a nutty flavor and helps with any bitterness.

Ingredients

1 cup toasted sesame seeds
2 tbs, plus 2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp toast sesame oil
1/4 tsp salt

1) In a dry skillet place your sesame seeds over medium heat. Stir them frequently for about 5 minutes until they are lightly toasted but not brown. Allow to cool in the skillet or on a plate.





2) Place the seeds in a food processor, and pulse for 
two to three minutes until they form a crumbly paste.

3) Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, I advise using a mild flavored variety. Pulse again, scraping down the sides. Add salt, the teaspoon of sesame oil and more olive oil a teaspoon at a time to the desired consistency.


4) Store in a jar in the fridge. 
I plan to make a double batch this weekend because I am going through it so fast.

It's great in my hummus recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment