Thursday, June 18, 2015

Almond spread, what to do with all that almond pulp.

I have been having so much fun making my own almond milk, however once it is made, I am left with pulp...
So far I have made a tart crust and the topping for my fruit crisp. I have also dried it and frozen it to use later.

The other day I decided to try a recipe I found online when I googled "what to do with my leftover almond pulp". It is amazing what you can google these days !!
The recipe called it "versatile almond spread", this is true. We used it with the coconut rice I just posted and as a spread on crackers. I know we could have found other uses but we ate it all !!

If you aren't making almond milk just soak 1 1/2 cup of almonds overnight, rinse them well and use them like the pulp, maybe reduce the olive oil by 1/4 cup, the end result may be a bit softer.

Versatile Almond Spread

Ingredients

2 cloves garlic
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes soaked in water
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
fresh herbs: thyme, basil, chives, oregano about 2 tablespoons, less if you are using dried herbs
1 1/2 cup almond pulp or soaked almonds
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
salt and pepper to taste


1) In a food processor: the garlic, lemon juice and sun dried tomatoes. Process.

2) Add the mustard and fresh herbs, process until evenly minced. I used a few leaves of fresh basil.



3) Add the almond pulp or soaked almond, process to combine well.
4) Drizzle in the olive oil.
5) Add the nutritional yeast, combine well.
6) The texture should be fairly light and fluffy, adjust with oil and lemon juice.
7) Salt and pepper to taste.
8) Keep in the fridge, they claim this gets better with age, just like me ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment