Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Crepes for Bastille Day, July 14, Vive La France !!

The French Bastille Day, their version of 4th of July, is just two days away, what better way to celebrate than with crêpes.

They come from the Breton coast of France, these flat thin pancakes. They are served on the street like Genevieve has in the photo below or at restaurants as a main meal. In Paris, the Rue du Montparnasse is full of creperies, restaurants that specialize in crepes of all kinds.

A regular crêpe made with white flour is called a crêpe, and one made with buckwheat flour is called a galette, so technically my favorite recipe is for galette.

You do need to plan ahead as the batter needs to sit overnight and then come to room temperature before you make them. You will want to have your fillings ready.
I made them recently for brunch with a friend, she is a vegetarian so our crepes had sauteed mushrooms, roasted asparagus and onions with a Swiss Gruyere cheese. The recipe makes a lot of batter, so I sent some home with my friend, she used it to make a dessert crepe. I dined on crepes with roasted vegetables and cheese for the rest of the week, what a treat.

The filling is warmed before putting it on the crepe.

I like to flip half the crepe over on itself. 

I served it with a dollop of creme fraiche.

No comments:

Post a Comment