Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Sweet Potato Muffins

I love seeing what's in my fridge and being creative.
The other day I had a friend coming over for brunch, I made a quiche with roasted red pepper I had on hand and sauteed some chard as a side dish. I wanted one more item to complete the menu.
I looked in the fridge and saw one leftover cooked sweet potato... "hmmm I wonder if I can make muffins out of that ? "
As they grow very well in the south, my daughter gets a LOT of them in her CSA( Community Supported Agriculture) boxes, I figured if this recipe worked she would have one more way to use all those sweet potatoes.
I did what I usually do and googled it, up came a variety of recipes and as I usually do I melded a few together with my own twist. I am so impressed with these tasty little muffins.


Laurie's Sweet Potato Muffins

Yield: one dozen

Ingredients

1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cooked mashed sweet potato
1 egg
1/2 canola oil
the zest of one orange

1) Preheat oven to 375 F, grease or paper a muffin tin. I used my silicon muffin cups which I love.
2) In a bowl whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
3) In another bowl whisk together the wet ingredients: mashed sweet potato, egg, oil and orange zest.
4) Mix the wet ingredients in with the dry, just until moistened.
5) Fill the muffin cups, about half full ( just use all the batter, don't get too carried away measuring how much.)
6) Bake for 15-18 minutes, using the toothpick trick. Mine took 18 minutes.

Serve warm !!

All the recipes called for glazes but I like them just the way they are.

I am very pleased with how they taste even several days later.
I am going to try freezing them too.
Wish I had a surplus of sweet potatoes ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment