Friday, February 25, 2011

Scones

I love scones for breakfast or tea time. They are a great vehicle for my jams and jellies.
I do have a pet peeve about them. I can't stand dense, doughy scones, yuck !!


This recipe is modified from the one in my Betty Crocker cookbook. These scones are almost like a crisp sweeter version of a biscuit. For you health nuts you can substitute 1/2 cup whole wheat flour for some of the white flour. You can also add lemon zest, or dried fruit. I am a purist ;-)






Laurie’s basic scones
Preheat oven to 400

Sift together in a large bowl:
                2 cups flour
                3 tsp. baking powder
                1 tsp. salt
                3 Tbsp. sugar

Cut in until fine with a pastry cutter or two knives: 1/2 cup of butter

The dough will look like this.

Stir in: 1/2 cup milk
    1 slightly beaten egg


Knead the dough in the bowl until it sticks together, try not to over mix. Form into a flat disk about one half inch thick on waxed paper. Cut into 8 triangles.


Place on ungreased baking sheet. I like to use parchment paper but you don't have to.

Bake for 12 minutes until lightly golden brown.

This recipe makes eight large or sixteen small scones.
They will last at least week in the fridge or freeze well.

1 comment:

  1. so many pretty pictures of a process ive seen happy my whole life :) so nice!

    ReplyDelete