Thursday, June 16, 2011

Goat Cheese with Fresh Lavender and Honey

When our latest attempt at fresh goat cheese turned into goat buttermilk, I remember this recipe and will serve it at a barbecue this weekend with some homemade bread.


I first got this idea from a visit to the tasting room at Harley Farms: http://www.harleyfarms.com/
They sell a lovely version of this goat cheese. I liked it so much I decided to try to make it myself, of course ;-). It turned out to be so easy !!

Start with a plain soft goat cheese, a small amount for fresh lavender and a tablespoon of honey.





Unwrap the goat cheese and place it on some waxed paper. Slice it in half. Crumble the fresh lavender ( you can use rosemary if you prefer), it only takes a very small amount, dried would work too. Drizzle about a tablespoon of honey, half on each section.



Carefully put the cheese log back together.



Wrap in the wax paper and refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.

If you are not a fan of lavender, try it with fresh rosemary, oregano, or mint.
And if you don't like the goat cheese, you can make this with any soft white cheese.

Before I got into making my own cheese, I would take room temperature cream cheese and whiz it up with fresh garlic and herbs in the food processor. It makes a great simple appetizer with bread, crackers or fresh veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment