Friday, June 24, 2011

Roasted Zucchini: another thing to do with all that summer squash.

I know this is the season for those midnight zucchini drops on your neighbors doorstep.
I love summer squash in all its shapes and sizes. And yes you can share any extra you have with me. I usually don't grow it myself ;-)

Here is one of my favorite ways to preserve all that bounty. Just freezing squash leaves you with a spongy mess, even blanching it first doesn't make much difference, it has so much water in it. That's why roasting it works so well.

Roasted Summer Squash with Onions and Garlic


Cover a baking pan or large cookie sheet with foil. Preheat your oven to 400 F.
For two large zucchini, I used one onion and four cloves of garlic. You can do this in large batches if you like.
Chop your squash in large chunks, peel and chop the onions also in large chunks.
Remove the skin from the garlic cloves with the side of the knife, chop it once or twice leaving large pieces.

Toss all the veggies into the pan with a tablespoon olive oil and some salt and pepper.





Bake for 20 minutes, stir the mixture around with a spatula or wooden spoon. Bake 20 more minutes, stir again. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes. You want it to be cooked but not too brown.




Once it has cooled, you can measure it into freezer bags by the cup. It can be used for lasagna, pizza topping, enchiladas, soups, any kind of baked casserole, it is so versatile !!

1 comment:

  1. This is genius...I could never figure put how to keep it from getting mushy in the freezer! Thanks Laurie!

    ReplyDelete