Monday, November 7, 2011

Rose Champagne Jelly

Champagne Rose Jelly

Several years ago my niece was visiting and wanted a canning demonstration.
Somehow we decided on wine jelly, I had been making it frequently with red wine and giving it as gifts. That day I didn't have any red wine but I did have some cheap champagne leftover from some party. I remember thinking that the champagne itself would make a pretty boring jelly. Inspiration hit and I decided to try infusing it with the rose geranium I had growing out front.
A new favorite was born. I know not everyone likes the flavor of rose, but if you do you will be amazed by this jelly. I started tentatively selling it at my biannual sale, the response was huge. In fact I had several young men fall to my feet in rapture upon tasting this jelly (true story !!).

You can make a simple wine jelly with this same recipe just replace the champagne with zinfandel or cabernet and leave out the infusing part.

Rose Champagne Jelly
Place 1 bottle of inexpensive champagne in a large pot.
Add 4 to 5 rose geranium leaves, bring to a simmer.

Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes, this infuses the rose geranium into the champagne.

Remove the leaves and add 5 cups of sugar to the champagne.

Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved.

When the mixture reaches a boil you cannot stir down, add 1 pouch of liquid pectin ( 3 ounces). Stir and bring back to a boil.

Boil for 1 minute, remove from heat and pour into hot sterilized jars.
You can can them in a hot water bath for 5 minutes or keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 months.
Yield is about 4 to 6 half pint jars.

3 comments:

  1. Never cook with a beverage that you wouldn't drink! One of the key points that is repeated in EVERY food network show :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking and making jelly are two different things. I would not cook with a mediocre wine or champagne but with the rose flavor and lots of sugar I am not sure that a more expensive champagne would give you that much more flavor. For the wine jelly it might.
    It is a good point though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy! My favorite jelly!! BTW - you were right. The yogurt came out great using a store bought yogurt as a starter. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete