Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving ideas...

I realize that most of you may have your menus already planned...but I did want to post a few easy and tasty versions of classic Thanksgiving day dishes just in case. There won't be any photos since I have yet to make them myself this year.

To honor the true spirit of this holiday I wanted to share what I am thankful for.

  • Living in such a bountiful area, we are so lucky to have so much fresh, local and  organic food here on the Central California Coast.
  • Having a career as a massage therapist that I still love to do after over 30 years.
  • Best of all, a wonderful family and amazing friends who love and support me in so many ways.


Here are a few recipes we will be making for our feast !!

Cornbread stuffing
My sister makes this cornbread stuffing, it may be my favorite part of the whole meal ( except for maybe the pies ;-)

4-6 days before Thanksgiving I make a pan of cornbread( see my recipe cornbread), and when it is cool, I cut it into cubes (about 1/2").  I let the cubes sit around and get stale or dry them out in the oven.

When ready to make the stuffing, toss with cubes:

1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1 cup cut up dried apricots
1 green bell pepper cut into thin, 1-2" strips
anything else you'd like
salt & pepper to taste

Add both melted butter and turkey/chicken/veggie stock until stuffing is desired moistness.  
I use more melted butter than stock.

Place in glass baking dish and bake for 35-45 minutes. 

Candied Yams
6 to 8 servings
I discovered this recipe years ago in Martha Stewart's Living magazine. It has become a staple at our Thanksgiving table. The fresh rosemary makes the dish, it helps to cut the sweetness of the maple syrup.
This dish can be baked ahead of time then reheated just before serving.

2 1/4 lbs. small yams, peeled and  cut into inch thick wedges.
1 1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 to 4 springs fresh rosemary
3 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 F
Place the potatoes in a enamel pot or cast iron skillet with a lid.
Add the maple syrup, apple cider and toss gently.
Tuck in the rosemary and dot with pieces of butter, sprinkle with salt.
Bake for 45 minutes covered, remove cover and toss gently.
Bake for 15 to 30 minutes more depending on how tender you want them.

Cranberry Sauce with a twist.

Please, please, please make your own cranberry sauce, it is SO EASY there are not many excuses.You can make it ahead of time in 15 minutes !!

Here is the basic recipe:
In a saucepan place:
one 12 ounce bag of fresh cranberries
one cup water
one cup sugar

Stir together to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes until the cranberries burst. That's it, refrigerate until you want to use it. Now wasn't that simple ??

There are many way to give cranberry sauce that added boost.
The most common way is to use orange juice instead of water and add orange zest.
There are also lots of fresh cranberry relish recipes. I am going to try one this year, I'll let you know how it turns out.

My favorite twist, use red wine instead of the water and add a small muslin bag with 1 cinnamon stick, 2 whole cloves and 2 whole allspice. Add the spice bag once the mixture has come to a boil and remove it once the cranberries are done cooking. This cranberry sauce has an amazing subtle richness I love.

This year I am making that pumpkin cheesecake tart I just posted as well as the traditional pecan pie.

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving whatever you cook up !!

No comments:

Post a Comment