Friday, October 26, 2012

My lazy post.

I haven't been trying out a lot of new recipes lately, so this is my lazy post ;-)
I have been making modifications to some of my usual recipes, nothing new and brilliant but very tasty.

For instance, kale salads are very delicious with peeled and chopped pineapple guavas in them.
This is the time of year that pineapple guavas are falling on the ground. Since most people use them for landscaping rather than the fruit, you can often find them for free in your neighborhood. I have seen them at the farmer's market and in natural food grocery store as well.


The other day I wanted to stuff my delicata winter squash, I looked up my recipe for stuffed winter squash, it calls for cooked rice, I didn't have any. I wasn't in the mood to saute onions either, so I made it with the carrots, cabbage, bread crumbs, herbs and some grated cheddar cheese, simple but sooo good. I'll be getting more winter squash at the farmer's market tomorrow !!

I made these chocolate chip bars for a recent trip and while they disappeared rapidly, when I went to make them again as a gift I added 1 cup of rolled oats to the recipe. The oats gave them a great flavor and texture boost.

We love soup at our house and I have made my own soup stock, in fact, I noticed that I had lots of seafood stock in my freezer. Mostly I have been making green soups and the seafood stock isn't a very good match for that kind of soup.

It was time to make a fishy soup and use that great homemade stock. I love bouillabaisse , I had some frozen sea bass and salmon but didn't want to be bothered with the shrimp and shellfish. So I made the broth and didn't strain it and added the fish cut in chunks. It was an ocean delight !! If you don't have your own stock, clam juice would be a good substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment