Saturday, January 5, 2013

White Bean Bruschetta





My dear friend Laurie posted a version of this recipe on her new blog
It looked so good and she teased me about being the "season" police. 

It's true I am rather strict about eating and cooking with what is currently in my farmer's market. So I took it as a good challenge to make this recipe without the fresh tomatoes and fresh basil. ( see note below)

I made it to take to my brother's for our visit there over New Year's Eve. It makes a great appetizer or lunch addition. 
I made it again today to serve with my focaccia and seafood soup, wow, so good !!

We all need more beans in our lives, right ??!!

White Bean Bruschetta*

It's best to make this several hours to a day ahead, the favors have more of a chance to marry.

*(I looked up "bruschetta" and while to me it means the bread part, it can also mean the topping.)

Ingredients


1 can of white navy beans or 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans
5 dried tomatoes, rehydrated and chopped
1/2 cup chopped olives (Kalamata or  green olives)
chopped fresh herbs: sprigs of rosemary, oregano, thyme, parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic ( 4 cloves)
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste




 1) Finely chop the garlic, olives, tomatoes and fresh herbs.

                                    

2) Add three tablespoons of good olive oil.
 I got four different kinds from my sister for Christmas. It has been fun trying them out.

3) Drain and add the beans.


4) Mix together gently. Add salt and pepper to taste.


5) Allow to sit for several hours before serving on oven toasted crusty bread.





Other possible additions: 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion, 
                                     1/4 cup fresh chopped spinach
                                     1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Note: I will admit that my farmer's market does still have fresh tomatoes, they just don't look very flavorful and I did see basil plants at Trader Joe's today. I am guessing that these ingredients are not commonly available in most locales. 





3 comments:

  1. It was delicious! Do you think you could use fresh tomatoes as well? Just wondering because dried tomatoes can be more condensed and flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original recipe called for two fresh tomatoes, which in season would be full of great flavor. The dried tomatoes do have a deeper flavor, so either one or both can work.

    ReplyDelete