Friday, February 7, 2014

Apple Molasses, so easy and so tasty !!

It not uncommon for people at the yoga center I attend, to stop me before and after class with food questions. About a month ago someone mentioned boiled apple cider, had I ever made it. I had never even heard of it. Of course now I needed to know...also know as apple molasses, it is simply the process of boiling apple cider down to a thick syrup.

I have made it twice so far. It has a lovely sweet, tart flavor and can be used it either sweet or savory dishes.

This is a great project for a cold or rainy day when you plan to be around your kitchen for several hours at least.

Apple Molasses

1) I advise starting with an organic, unfiltered apple juice.

This is a half gallon of juice, it will cook down to about 12 to 14 ounces.


2) Pour the juice into a large pot and use a wooden spoon to measure the depth.

3) Mark the juice level with a pen., this will help you measure your progress.

4) Bring the juice to a simmer, and allow to cook for several hours on medium low heat.

5) It will slowly reduce.  For the first couple of hours you don't need to watch it much.
The size of your pan will make a difference in how long it takes to reduce.
6) Toward the end you will need to be more attentive so it does not burn. It should turn a deep color and be a quarter or less of the original volume. The first batch I made was the consistency of thick syrup, the second batch slightly more liquid.
7) At this point you can store it in the fridge or can it in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

I love it on waffles and in my hot cereal.
I hear it is great on roasted Brussel sprouts. I'll bet it's great in marinades and salad dressings, over ice cream, with seltzer water, in hot tea or mixed drinks. Try it in apple pie, apple crisp or on a pork roast.




2 comments:

  1. This looked so delicious that I had to try it! When I got down to 1/4 original volume, it was still pretty runny so I let it go down to 1/8 original volume and ended up with something that tastes like liquid Tarte Tatin (caramelized apple tart)! Delicious and intense. Had it on french toast this weekend and on raspberry sorbet for dessert last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to hear that it worked for you. Yes, the end product does seem to be 1/6 to 1/8 of the original volume. Definitely like a liquid apple pie or Tarte Tatin !! I used a tablespoon of the liquid last night on my massaged kale salad, it was divine !!

      Delete