Monday, March 3, 2014

Coffee cake, Betty Crocker's Best

Genna called me the other day to complain that she could not find my coffee cake recipe on this blog. I realized it had been a while since I have made it. Lately waffles have been the fare on Sunday mornings.
So I dug out old Betty Crocker, the cookbook, of course.
I grew up with this cookbook. I can remember leafing through the pages to admire all the colorful baked goods.





Strangely the book opened to the coffee cake recipe ;-)
I went back to this cookbook after my hippie-whole-wheat-in-everything phase in the 70's.
Don't get me wrong I do love whole flour in many things but it can go too far. I found some very simple basic recipes that I modified to fit my own tastes, mostly baked goods.




Here's my version of the coffee cake.

Laurie & Betty's  Streusel Coffee Cake


Ingredients

The batter:
 3/4 cup sugar
1/4 canola oil*
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

The streusel:
1/2 brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons canola oil*
1/2 cup chopped walnuts of pecans.

* you can use melted butter if you prefer.


1) Preheat the oven to 375 F, grease a 9 inch square or round pan.
2) Mix together in a bowl: sugar, oil, and the egg.

3) Add the milk and stir.

4) Whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.

5) Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir together.

6) To make the streusel, mix together in a small bowl: the flour, cinnamon and brown sugar.
7) Add the oil, mix well.

8) Add the nuts and mix again.



9) Into the greased pan, spread a little less than half the batter to cover the bottom of the pan.

10) Sprinkle half the streusel on the batter in the pan.

11) Now carefully spread or drop the rest of the batter to cover that layer.

12) Sprinkle the rest of the streusel on the top.

13) Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes.


 14) Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting, if you can wait that long.









No comments:

Post a Comment