Monday, May 19, 2014

Strawberry "shortcake" for the chocolate lover.

A couple weekends ago our friends, Rex and Margaret, came for a visit. Rex is a true chocoholic, so I usually try to come up with some new amazing chocolate dessert.
It is strawberry season, I really wanted to showcase our local fruit and I had made almost every very chocolate dessert in my repertoire...

Somehow I had to get chocolate into my strawberry shortcake, suddenly it hit me, use a brownie for the "shortcake" !!

I love my brownie recipe. It calls for 3 ounces of cream cheese which I didn't have handy so I used the same amount of my thick yogurt instead. And instead of chocolate chips, I took the time to chop some nice dark chocolate into small pieces. The results were fantastic. The brownies were great by themselves and as a base for the strawberries and whipped cream.

It's always a food festival with Rex and Margaret in the house. Here is the rest of the menu from that evening.

Freshly picked asparagus roasted on the grill. Margaret brought us a huge bag from her brother's farm.


Laurie's potatoes.

Three different kinds of sausages from local charcuterie, El Sachichero, also on the grill.

A huge green salad.

Here is happy Rex and that's even before dessert !!



No comments:

Post a Comment