Thursday, June 19, 2014

Kolhrabi !!

How many different ways can they modify the mustard plant ?? What ?? Cole crops or those that belong to the Cruciferae family come in so many different forms:  Brussels sprout, cabbage, cauliflower, collards, kale, mustard, broccoli, turnips, watercress AND kolhrabi, the subject of this post.

I have seen kohlrabi in the farmer's markets for years but was never brave or interested enough to try them. My brother grew them and raved about them ( actually his wife did the raving), nope still didn't try them. It took a friendly  and enthusiastic farmer at the nearby u-pick garden and offer of free samples to convert me.

Here's what they look like in the ground.


They are amazing, sweet and crisp and very versatile. I love to eat them raw, they remind me of jicama although they are unrelated. They are a great addition to any salad or veggie platter.


To prepare kolhrabi for eating raw or cooked, after removing the leaves, you must first peel off the fibrous outer layer.

Grilling them is my favorite way to eat them cooked, so far.
I slice them in thick slices ( 1/4 to 1/2 inch), coat them with olive oil, then dust with salt, pepper and the dried herbs of your choice.


















I grilled them for 4-5 minutes each side depending on the heat of your grill. Yum !!


















I have also added them to Laurie's Potatoes,


and to our stir fried veggies.

Give kolhrabi a try !





No comments:

Post a Comment