Thursday, November 6, 2014

Your Place, a restaurant review.

Your Place seems an odd name for a restaurant...the subtitle, Farm to Table helped to me to understand what the owners were trying to say. Their webpage states that they are inspired " by the rich availability of local organic produce, sustainable seafood and naturally raised beef..." Sounds good.

I have been wanting to try this place since it opened and one of my clients recommended it.
Last Saturday was wet and cold, so our usual yard sale date was a bust. The perfect chance to try out Your Place, it had been almost 30 years since Bob and I had been out to breakfast in Santa Cruz.

As we sat down at our table, we were greeted by the cute little set of salt and pepper shakers in the photo above. Each table had it's own charming set.



The wait staff was attentive when we first sat down, bringing us coffee, water and menus. I ordered tea and was not pleased with their selection, however their food menu had plenty of choices !
 Bob decided on the breakfast burrito with country gravy, which sounded horrific to me... it looks rather horrific too. He enjoyed the gravy and the sausage inside, his only complaint was the excess of large potato chunks.

I usually use French toast as my breakfast barometer, I wasn't in the mood for something sweet. I braved the hazardous world of omelets and scrambles. My scramble had bacon, baby spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers and Parmesan cheese. It was perfect and that saying a lot coming from a very fussy egg eater. I chose the hashbrowns instead of the country potatoes, I didn't eat them. They were not brown nor crunchy, it been a long time since I had tried hashbrowns. Bob claimed they were fine...and while I ordered wheat toast they brought me a biscuit. They did bring me toast once I pointed out the mistake.


They had their own toppings to go with the toast. The strawberry preserves were watery and not very flavorful, I am guessing they were trying to do a reduced sugar jam. The marmalade was much better with big chunks of peel and just the right tartness.
 














The decor was clean and kitschy fun with white tableclothes, real napkins and those cute salt shakers.


















Your Place is located in a strip mall with a very unassuming front.


Bob liked this tabletop sign about the carbon offset of their cocktails.

Overall we enjoyed having breakfast out and would come back again to try more of their menu.


No comments:

Post a Comment