Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Thanksgiving in two days: more ideas for your table.

I was looking through previous post about Thanksgiving and found the one about my favorite yams.
I love this yam dish, it is so good and easy. The post is rather clever too if you have time to read it.

 I've already covered stuffing and cranberry sauces.  What about other side dishes ??
We live in the biggest Brussel sprout growing area in the country here on the central California coast, why not try my pan fried Brussel sprouts  or my roasted broccoli and Brussel sprouts?


Here is another website with 101 Thanksgiving side dishes in case you need or want more inspiration.

Finally the second most important part of any Thanksgiving day menu ( after the stuffing)...Dessert !!

This will be the first time that I can remember that we will not be having pie for dessert.
My brother is making a pumpkin cheesecake, he makes great cheesecakes.
While I don't have his recipe, here is a pumpkin cheesecake recipe I love.
He is also making fudge !!

Back to pies, in my family multiple pies were a requirement.
Pecan pie , pumpkin pie, a berry pie, maybe apple, pear or occasionally a small mincemeat for my dad.
Pies are another thing you can make a few days ahead.
For pumpkin pie, the spice flavor deepens, berry and other fruit pies have time to set.
If pies are too much for you, bake some apples or make a fruit crisp

I have a friend who can't abide pie or any cooked fruit. For her I would go with a pumpkin cakegingerbread or my ginger cake with warm caramel sauce. All of these cakes can be made ahead of time or give the recipe to someone else and have them bring dessert !!

I have so much to be thankful for in so many part of my life.
I hope you enjoy the time you spend on Thanksgiving with friends and family.

And remember in the words of the immortal Miss Piggy: Never eat more than you can lift !




No comments:

Post a Comment