Friday, February 10, 2012

Brussel Sprouts...Petit Choux

That's what the French call them, petit choux means little cabbages, which is exactly what they are and much maligned by many.
I went to a Brussel Sprout festival at the Boardwalk years ago. The two things I remember most about this odd event: the sprout toss and the chocolate covered sprouts...neither very flattering.
My first and only bouquet from Bob was a stock of the wee cabbages, awww how sweet !!

Anyway...they have had a culinary renaissance in the past few years and if you don't steam or boil them to death, they can be quite tasty.

Be sure to get organic sprouts, they are a heavily sprayed crop.

I recommend cutting them in halves or quarters and sauteing them in butter or olive oil with lots of garlic and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Bacon is welcome addition if you swing that way.

The most important thing is not to overcook them, leave them a bit crunchy, al dente so to speak.

I think I'll get some from my farmer's market tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment