Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Green Soup

My friend Laurie posted a recipe for her green soup on her Facebook page.
I put my own spin on it and came up with this very delicious and nutritious soup.
It made a great light dinner after going out to lunch with my dad.
I served the soup with millet muffins and a modified version of kale salad .
I look forward to having it for lunch today.

Ingredients
8 cups water
1 bunch of greens, beet green, chard...whatever you have on hand.
2 red potatoes or 1 cup mashed potatoes
1 small bunch broccoli
1 large onion
2-4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup miso
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper

1) Chop and saute one large onion and 2 to 4 cloves of garlic until soft and slightly brown.
2) Rinse,stem and chop whatever greens you are going to use.
I used two kinds of beet greens.
3) Chop your small bunch of broccoli, including the leaves.
4) Chop the potatoes. I used leftover massage potatoes because they needed using and that's all I had on hand.
5) Put all the veggies into the pot with the onions and garlic and 8 cups of water.
6) Simmer for about 30 minutes, be sure the potatoes are soft.

7) I let this all cool before I blended it, I recommend that, but if you must do it while still hot, be very careful. Put small batches into your blender or use an immersion wand.
I didn't take any photos while I was blending it...it's not that attractive ;-)

8) While blending the soup add 1/4 cup miso, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon each salt and cumin powder and fresh ground pepper to taste.

9) Reheat to serve if necessary.
You can turn it into a cream soup by adding some yogurt or cream.

1 comment:

  1. I like the addition of miso! I'm trying that next time instead of the salt I used! thanks for that addition.

    What I love about green soup is that you can be super creative with it. Use a sweet potato instead of a yam, add some curry, add some carrot, or juice some vegies and use that as 'stock"

    ReplyDelete