Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pumpkin Pie

Winter squash is now in season. As I drive up the northern California coast I see fields of pumpkins of all sizes, shapes and colors. The great thing is that most winter squash make great pies. I have tried butternut squash, sugar pie pumpkins, delicata squash and blue moon Cinderella pumpkins.

Recently a friend gave me  giant blue hubbard squash, I wasn't sure whether to keep it as a pet or cook it up. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo, this thing was huge, probably 20 pounds. Bob even had trouble cutting it up for baking.
Here's a photo I found on the internet.
So after baking it, and making it into puree in my food processor ( sorry I didn't photo document that either), I decided to try it out in pie and cupcakes( I'll post about those soon).
What I didn't use, I froze in freezer bags in two cup portions.

Here's my classic pumpkin pie recipe.

Pumpkin Pie

Preheat oven to 425 F

Prepare your favorite single pie crust in a deep glass pie plate.

In a mixing bowl place:

2 cups  pumpkin/winter squash puree
2/3 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp.cloves
1 3/4 cup whole milk

Blend well.
Pour the filling in the pie crust.
If you have them use a pie crust guard and a drip guard.


Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 F and bake for 45 to 50 more minutes.
Allow to cool at least 2 hours before serving with whipped cream.
I think pumpkin pie is even better the second day :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment