Monday, October 24, 2011

Honey Ginger Buttercream Frosting



I have had a lot of fun making those pumpkin cupcakes from an earlier post.
When my friend recently asked for something with pumpkin and ginger in a birthday dessert, I decided to make them again only this time frost them with a ginger frosting. I was amazed to find that when I googled "ginger buttercream frosting" there were lots of hits.
This would be great for gingerbread cupcakes as well.

Start with 3/4 cup softened butter. Beat it until it's creamy.

Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar depending on how stiff you want it. Beat on high until smooth.
Now add 1/3 cup honey, 1 tablespoon powered ginger, and 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh grated ginger.
I love my micro grater, just be careful of your knuckles.
The easiest way to always have fresh ginger on hand is to freeze it !!
Freezing  also makes it very easy to grate.

Beat for a few minutes until smooth again and add a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Mix that in and adjust the thickness if needed.
You can tell from the cupcakes that I used a pastry bag and fancy tip. You can also just frost them with a knife. As a finishing touch I grated some fresh nutmeg onto each cupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment