Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pumpkin Cupcakes...more things to make with your squash puree.

Cupcakes before frosting.

Since I made 12 cups of squash puree from that amazing Blue Hubbard squash I wanted to find more ways to use it.

I decided to make these cupcakes to bring to my yoga class since they had all seen the squash before it's demise. My yoga teacher is a vegan hence these are vegan cupcakes.
I modified a recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. When I first read their recipe I had two major complaints, first off the recipe began with a cup of canned pumpkin...if you must I suppose that can work. There other thing was the addition of chocolate chips, YUK !! Why do people do this ??? Personally I can't stand pumpkin and chocolate together, it's a travesty but again if you must...

Pumpkin Cupcakes My Way !!
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.

This recipe makes a dozen but I doubled it with no problem.

Ingredients:
Into a bowl mix together.
1 cup pumpkin or squash puree
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In another bowl sift or stir with a whisk:
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix the two bowls together with a fork not a mixer.
Once they are well combined pour the batter into the cupcake papers.
Bake for 22 to 24 minutes.
When they are done remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Don't eat them warm they surprised me by being gummy until they had cooled completely.
I frosted them with a little cinnamon icing, mix together:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Add:
1 tablespoon soy milk
1 tablespoon melted margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix together until smooth, dribble onto cupcakes with a spoon or use a small plastic bag to pipe it onto the cupcakes in lines or zigzags.


The yoga class were amazed by how good they tasted :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment