Sunday, October 2, 2011

Roasted Chicken


I was making a meal for a family friend who recently had a beautiful baby girl. Mom Onawa requested roasted chicken, I was happy to comply. It's so easy and so satisfying.
Here is my foolproof method.

Start with one whole organic chicken, preheat the oven to 375 F.
After washing and drying the bird, stuff the inside with a whole lemon, one quartered onion and a handful of fresh or dried herbs: basil, rosemary, oregano, chives, fennel, thyme, sage.

I like to make a paste of herbs for the outside of the bird as well. I get another handful of fresh or dried herbs, I make my paste with butter and some lemon juice. Coat the chicken with the herb butter.

It may not spread easily due to the moisture on the chicken skin, I don't stress over it ;-)
Place the bird in a baking dish.

Next you can add veggies to the dish, potatoes, onions, carrots, whatever you like. Leave it in big chunks since the whole thing will cook a long time.
Bake uncovered for 2 hours. The smell in your home will be wonderful. The bird will be nicely brown and tender.
When Bob heard that Onawa had requested the roasted chicken, he pleaded for one of his own. How could I turn him down ?? He loves this meal as you can see by his plate full.
Leftover chicken is great for sandwiches, casseroles or evening snacks straight off the bone.
Save the carcass and make yourself some chicken stock for soup.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the chicken recipe. I do the lemon herbs thing too. Great minds... I'm not sure the 'Bob's aftermath' image was were I wanted to end. Then, I read the last line of your post. Chicken stock; I almost always use mine for risotto...

    ReplyDelete