Monday, February 26, 2018

Granola

Hey all you hippies out there, here's a granola recipe I tried recently.
My friend gave me some she had made with this recipe for Christmas, it had been a while since I had enjoyed a bowl of granola for breakfast. I liked her version, it's like a cross between muesli and granola due to the short baking time and small amount of oil. This recipe also has a higher nut to oat ratio which I like. Of course, I have put my own spin on it, changing it a bit here and there. Granola is very forgiving, use what you like in terms of nuts and seeds, add dried fruit after it bakes or leave it out. Allergic to coconut, no big deal,  replace it with something else, like those real hippy foods: flax and chia seeds.


Simple Granola

Ingredients

2 cups rolled oats ( not the instant variety)
3/4 cup whole almonds
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp cardamon (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup canola oil

1 cup dried cranberries added after baking.

1) Preheat the oven to 300 F, prepare a rimmed baking sheet with parchment, silicon baking mat or a light coating of oil.

2) Mix all the dry ingredients including the powdered spices together in a bowl.

3) Add the maple syrup and oil, combine together well.

4) Spread the mixture onto the baking sheet, bake for 10 minutes. Stir and bake for 10 more minutes.

5) Allow to cool, add dried cranberries and store in an airtight container. Enjoy.

In this batch I used some tiny raisins as well as the cranberries.

Here are a couple of other recipes from past posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment