Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Another great granola recipe

Recently a friend shared some of her homemade granola with me, it was so tasty. She used this Alton Brown recipe with some modifications.
I tried it and was very happy with the results. It is slightly more labor intensive due to all the stirring but I think the lower temperature does help to keep it from burning. I think I'll have some for lunch with my fresh peaches and yogurt !!

Here it is:

Ingredients

  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 cup cashews( I used a combination of walnuts and pumpkin seeds)
  • 3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut ( I used the unsweetened flake coconut that I had around)
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup (  I used honey, my friend used agave )
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup raisins (  I didn't put any in, although I would have used dried cranberries if I had them)

Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.
In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. ( I think with my large cookie sheets I could have put it all on one pan)


Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.
Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment