Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Frittata, easier than I thought

I had a lot of leftover steamed broccoli and a lot of eggs, since our hens know that it is now spring !! I make quiche quite a bit but didn't want to bother with the crust. I have made crust-less quiches and called them frittata but this time I wanted to go with the real thing. They are a lot easier than I thought, quicker and great leftover for lunch.
I made mine in my large cast iron skillet, whatever you use needs to be stove top and oven proof.

Preheat the oven to 400 F.

You can put just about any vegetables in them. If they are not already cooked you can do that in the pan first. I did heat up the broccoli that way.
Here are some ideas: onions, leeks, potatoes,mushrooms, squash, asparagus, peppers, kale, spinach, chard...you get the idea.
About 3 to 4 cups of veggies will do.
Feel free to add ham, bacon, pancetta, smoked salmon...
Put 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter or olive oil in the pan, sautee or heat your choice of veggies.

While that is cooking, beat until frothy: 8 eggs in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of milk. Add 1 cup grated Swiss cheese(I used less), salt, pepper and herbs if you like.

Once the veggies are cooked or heated through pour the egg mixture over the top. Pull the edges away from the sides of the pan with a spatula so the eggs flow to the bottom of the pan.

Once it is has started to set, transfer the pan to the heated oven. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until puffed and golden.

Shower with grated Parmesan, the recipe said to garnished with sour cream and chives. We liked it as is. I served it with steamed beet green and slices of my homemade bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment