Friday, March 2, 2012

Recipe Updates: green soup, kale salad, granola, chocolate cake

As I make some of the recipes I have shared they have had their own evolution, I want to updates on a few of the recipes.

1) Let's start with green soup.

I have been making this soup a lot. It is great for lunch or a light dinner but my new favorite secret ingredient is....PARSNIPS !! You know those anemic, flaccid carrot shaped roots that most folks don't know what to do with ??... they are amazing to pureed soups of any kind. They lend a very smooth, creamy texture when cooked in liquid and pureed. I first had them years ago in a pear parsnip soup at some fancy museum cafe. I could not believe it was a dairy free soup. I tried making a version myself and was so impressed with their creamy texture.
So when you go to make green soup add two parsnips instead of the potatoes.

Remember that flourless chocolate cake ? I loved it's texture when I made it straight from my recipe but something was missing...then a friend gave me a bar of dark orange chocolate for Valentine's day.
I decided to use it in the smaller version of the cake recipe. It's wasn't quite four ounces so I added a little more regular dark chocolate and I add the zest from one orange. Wow, what a difference that made, the flavor deepened and the cake went from being good to great !! I'll bet other flavored chocolate bars will work too.

3) Massage Kale Salad is another recipe I have been using a lot. We ( Bob and I) have found we like it with lots of grated carrot and shredded cabbage and orange slices !
I have been using my lime infused olive oil in the dressing which pairs well with the orange.

4) Granola, when I posted the recipe I gave you the original recipe with some of my modification, the ingredient list has evolved even more. Here is the real version.
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 cup walnuts or pecans or some of both
  • 1/4 pumpkin seeds
  • 1/4 sunflower seeds
  • 3/4 cup  unsweetened flake coconut
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup agave 
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt

1 comment:

  1. Tyler and I make that massaged kale salad almost every week...it's so good!

    ReplyDelete