Monday, April 2, 2012

Korean barbeque inspired beef

It makes me hungry just thinking about this dish, good thing I am having the leftovers for dinner tonight, along with some fresh asparagus. We don't eat beef very often but from now on this is how I will prepare it !!

When we moved Genna down to LA in January, her new roommates took us to this small Korean barbeque place Tofu-Ya. I loved the beef dish I had and recently was wishing we had a good Korean restaurant  around here.

I remembered a conversation I had with my Niece Knitty about getting beef finely sliced at her Japanese market. I knew just the place to go : El Salchichero, our local butcher. I explained what I wanted to make, the guy behind the counter suggested a baseball cut top sirloin. I asked him to slice it very thinly, which he did.

I set rice to cook in the rice cooker and began to caramelized an sliced onion in some olive oil and butter. Once the onion and rice were started, I made a marinade for the beef. I apologize for the lack of photos, I had no idea this dish would turn out soooo good.

Beef marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp. homemade brown sugar

Stir together to dissolve the sugar, then pour it over the beef in a bowl and mix.
I had a little over half a pound of sliced beef.

Once the onions were done I removed them to a bowl and began to saute the mushrooms.
When they were done I removed them, added a bit of olive oil and began to carefully cook the slices of beef, it took only than a minute to brown the meat on both sides. With the meat all cooked, everything when back into the pan to cook together for maybe 5 minutes.

I served it over rice with a beet and goat cheese salad.
I was amazed how good it tasted. I kept trying to think of what kind of seasonings I would add next time but this dish was practically perfect the way it was. If you wanted more heat, you could add a teaspoon of red chili flakes to the marinade or some hot sauce.

That half pound of beef made for four meals. Due to the fact that it is local and grass fed, it's omega 3 fatty acids are high.

No comments:

Post a Comment