Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Brown Sugar !!

The other day I was getting ready to make another batch of spiced pear topping when I realized I was out of brown sugar a key ingredient.
Then I remembered something my very smart daughter* had recently told me.
* Very smart daughter, who loves lizards almost as much as she loves food.

 She told me brown sugar was soooo easy to make, just mix molasses and white sugar together. I knew that brown sugar was made up of those two ingredients but I had no idea is was that simple.

Here goes:

In a bowl add 2 cups white sugar and 2 tablespoon molasses (I like the unsulfured kind).
The 1 to 1 ratio seemed pretty dark to me, mostly because my molasses was very dark.
If you want it lighter use less, for darker brown sugar use more.
Now stir it...I used a whisk but next time I might try my Kitchen-aid mixer.
Or a wooden spoon to smash the little globs of molasses. Be persistent. In a few minutes it will look like this.
It smells and tastes so much better than the commercial stuff !!
Be sure to store it in a jar or zip lock bag.

3 comments:

  1. I do this ALL the time, it's SO EASY! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. More flattering pictures next time mom? ;)

    I've also stirred a bit and then shook it up in a jar- not sure if it works better but its less dishes later- not all of us are blessed with a human dishwasher ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mita, of course you do you are A VERY SMART DAUGHTER, as well ;-)

    And GB, I thought it was flattering, send me a better one and I will replace it.

    ReplyDelete