Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Great Hamburgers

With Memorial Day past, it is officially summer even though the Solstice is not until June 22.
Time fro grillin' and chillin' ;-)

I have not been a big fan of hamburgers most of my life. I didn't grow up eating at fast food places and when given a choice as a kid I always picked the hot dogs...
Thus I have not cooked them often...

That being said, I had a craving the other day for a burger and we are lucky enough to have an amazing local butcher just down the street: el Salchichero. I bought a pound of their grass fed ground beef and went about creating my perfect burger.

I did a bit of research here are some random stuff I found:
1) When making the patties don't massage them too much, they are not modeling clay.
2) Don't make them too thick.
3) Make a thumbprint in the center of each one for a reason I don't remember...
4) Make sure the grill is very hot when you cook them.

5) Don't turn them over more than once.
6) Don't flatten them with your spatula.
7) Cook them 5-6 minutes a side depending on the thickness.
8) Let them rest for 5 minutes before eating them, that's hard !!

Here's what I like:
1) Lots of caramelized onions.
2) Whole wheat but still soft buns, lightly toasted...sounds dirty ;-)
3) Goat cheese, this "four peppers" variety was very tasty. Put a slice on each burger after you have flipped it once so that it soften and warms slightly. I find cheddar and other hard cheeses to be too greasy when melted.

4) I prefer my burger without a lot of ketchup, mayo or mustard. They get soggy with too many condiments.
5) And I prefer my greens in a large pile separately.
I enjoyed this burger so much, I know I will be having it again this summer.
It's such an easy weekend meal !!

No comments:

Post a Comment