Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Seaweed salad without the seaweed.


Over the weekend Bob had smoked some of the salmon we had bought straight off the fishing boat at the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor. He did an amazing job. We served most of it for Father's Day lunch.

For dinner tonight I wanted to do a simple roll your own sushi type dinner to highlight the smoked salmon.

 I wanted to serve it with edamame, and seaweed salad. Whenever we go out for sushi we always get a seaweed salad.

My local grocery store didn't have seaweed salad like I thought it would.
Undaunted I decided to make my own version with what I had around the house.

Laurie's Unseaweed Salad

Ingredients
1 large carrot
1 small zucchini
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
3 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/2 teaspoons black sesame seeds.

1) Into a medium size bowl add 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, 3 tablespoon rice wine vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes. Whisk together.

2) Grate one large carrot and one small zucchini.


3) Toss into the bowl with the dressing and mix together. Sprinkle with a 1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds.
I was surprised and delighted with how much it tasted like those seaweed salads at the sushi restaurants !!

No comments:

Post a Comment