Tuesday, July 31, 2012

WHOLE Wheat Bread from the bread machine

Most of the recipes in my favorite bread machine book use a combination of some white bread flour in their recipes.
Recently, my friend Laurie, raved about this ALL whole wheat bread recipe. I had to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised by the first loaf I made. It is not a door stop and makes great toast, it is a hearty, chewy and delightful loaf.

Whole Wheat Bread
Adapted from the Guilty Kitchen recipe.

It make a two pound loaf.
Use the whole wheat setting on your bread machine.
I used the light crust setting too.


Ingredients
1 cup milk (or buttermilk, skim milk, almond milk, soy milk any kind of milk)*
2/3 cup water
2 tbsp  butter (or vegetable shortening, like Earth Balance)
2 tbsp honey, (or agave or brown sugar)
2 tsp salt
3 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup cereal or seeds: I used  half rolled oats and half whole millet.
(The original recipe says: "I used 7 grain cereal, a blend or flax, millet and sunflower seeds, just straight sunflower seeds and old fashioned oats all successfully. ")
2 1/4 tsp  active dry yeast

 * All I had on hand was vanilla soy milk so I used that and reduced the honey by one tablespoon.

1. Place all ingredients in the order they are listed into the baking pan of your bread machine.
2. Set your machine for whole wheat bread and light crust.
3. Check the mixture after 10 to 15 minutes to be sure the dough is not too sticky or too dry.
Adjust accordingly.
4. Remove from machine when done and allow to cool on a baking rack for at least one hour.
5. Slice and enjoy!

I look forward to trying other seed, nut and grain combinations !!

No comments:

Post a Comment