Monday, June 3, 2013

Asian Peanut Slaw






 The other day I was shopping at Trader Joe's, the "taste of the day" was this Asian peanut slaw, of course it used all kinds of pre-packaged veggies and sauce. It was tasty but I knew I could make it better !! I was lucky enough to have my very favorite sous-chef around to help with this creation.

Laurie's Asian Peanut Slaw

Ingredients

Slaw

8 cups finely chopped or shredded cabbage ( about 1 medium size cabbage)
2 cup grated carrots ( 4 medium size carrots)
1 1/2 cups peanuts
1 cup dried cranberries or golden raisins( my sous-chef hates raisins)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro ( optional but recommended).

Dressing*

1/2 cup peanut sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 clove finely minced garlic
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( more if you want it very spicy)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

*Note: I made my own. You can use 1 cup of Trader Joe's Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette or something similar.

1) Finely chop or shred the 8 cups of cabbage.

2) Grate the carrots.

3) Mix the cabbage, carrots, peanuts and cranberries together in a bowl .


4) Finely mince the garlic and grate the ginger for the dressing.
5) In a small bowl add the rest of the ingredients for the dressing.

6) Toss the salad with the dressing and serve.


My extremely talented sous-chef pronounced this salad even better the next day when we served it with roll you own sushi.


No comments:

Post a Comment