Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Kabocha Spice Soup

Kabocha squash are not really pumpkins although they look very similar. Kabocha are another variety of delicious winter squash. We had some last year, dumped the seeds in our compost and had volunteers this year in our front yard.
The other day I decided to bake the kabocha along with a butternut and delicata squash.
We ate the butternut straight up, it was so rich and creamy.  I stuffed the delicata, I had forgotten how good stuffed squash is. 

The kabocha was destined for soup. I didn't have a recipe, so I decided to riff off the carrot ginger soup we love so much. I was very happy with the results.

Kabocha Spice Soup

Ingredients

1 baked squash, peeled and cubes
1 onion chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 inch fresh ginger, sliced
1 large bell pepper/ roasted bell pepper*
 6-10 cups broth/water
2-4 teaspoons salt
1-2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

* I used a roasted bell pepper I had frozen. You can use a fresh bell pepper, just be sure to add it to the onion to cook.

1) As I mentioned above, I baked the squash first, you can also steam it. In fact for this soup that might be the best bet. However you cook it, let it cool down, then peel it.

2) Cut into chunks and set aside.

 3) Chop and saute one onion in olive oil. If you are using a fresh bell pepper, chop and add to the onion. Cook both until soft.
 4) I used a pepper I had roasted, so I added it when I added the sliced ginger and broth.
 5) Once you add the sliced ginger and broth, simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the squash is very soft and mushy. The amount of broth you use will depend on the size of your squash and how thick you like your soup. You can always add more liquid when you puree it.
6) Allow the soup to cool enough to puree without chance of injury ;-) I like to add the rest of my spices then, as well as the vinegar, salt and more water or broth if needed.
The soup is rich and thick with a nice kick of heat from the cayenne. Perfect for a cold winter evening or lunchtime. 

 I served it with the tomato galette....

 and a green salad with apples, radishes, carrots and cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment