Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Laurie's Very Simple Carrot Ginger Soup




This recipe is dedicated to a dear friend whose birthday is this week. She was the first person to send me a recipe for carrot ginger soup, it helped her to recover from chemotherapy many years ago. (Ginger is very settling to the stomach.)Thankfully she is still around to celebrate her birthday :-)

I had a version of this soup recently when I lunched at Green's, that inspired me to make it myself. I have become quite the pureed soup aficionado since that first recipe crossed my path.

This version is so creamy and full of ginger flavor.

Laurie's Very Simple Carrot Ginger Soup

Ingredients

1 large onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
6-8 large carrots
fresh ginger ( about an inch long)
soup stock or water

1) Chop and saute your onion until it begins to caramelize.
I just threw the onion in the pot, it has not started to cook yet.
2) Chop the carrots into large coins.

 3) Slice about an inch of fresh ginger into thin slices.


4) Once the onion has cooked to your satisfaction, add the carrots, ginger and enough water or soup stock to cover the carrots.
5) Simmer until the carrots are soft and mushy.

6) Once it has cooled down, remove most of the ginger before you puree the mixture, otherwise it will be too strong, you can always add it back in. I ended up with 3 or 4 slices of ginger. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add more liquid if it is too thick.


7) Reheat gently to serve and top with a teaspoon of yogurt and sprinkle of paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment