Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Basil, it's not just about pesto...




It is officially basil season with huge, leafy bunches showing up for cheap at local farmer's markets.
When most people think of basil, they think pesto, this garlicky pasta sauce is certainly a staple in our home.

Since basil is so abundant right now, let's think outside the sauce...

I used almost a whole bunch the other day when I made a variation of our favorite green soup, what a great addition. That big basil flavor went well with the other greens giving them a great summer taste.

Here are two more recipes that highlight this leafy herb: caprese salad and basil ice cream ( yes I did say basil ice cream, don't knock it until you try it !!).

Basil leaves are also great in sandwiches, on burgers, on pizzas, in fresh spring rolls and green or kale salads.

Capreses Salad
As the tomatoes show up at the farmer's market I get a craving for caprese salad.
"Caprese" means in the style of Capri, a very cool island off the coast of Italy. I remember swimming in a grotto there as a teenager, the water was an amazing color of turquoise, but I digress.

Caprese salad is simply fresh mozzarella slices, fresh tomato slices and basil, at least that is the basic recipe.

Here's how I made my caprese salad recently for a dinner with my brother.
Ingredients
4 large lettuce leaves
2 large balls, fresh mozzarella
1 clove finely chopped garlic
10 small tomatoes or 5 large ones
1-2 tablespoons good olive oil
1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar


1) I started with a bed of lettuce on a large plate.



2) Then I washed about 10 nice big basil leave and coarsely chopped them.
3) I sliced 10 small tomatoes from my brother's garden.
4) I finely chopped on clove of garlic
5) Sliced 2 big balls of fresh mozzarella.


6) I arranged all the ingredients on the bed of lettuce : mozzarella, tomatoes, garlic then basil.


7) I sprinkled the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top.


Here's my brother ready to dive into that caprese salad.

Basil Ice Cream with Balsamic Boysenberry Sauce

I was intrigued when a friend mentioned she had made basil ice cream. I asked for the recipe, changed it to suit my tastes and voila !!

Ingredients

For the ice cream*

2 cup milk
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
2- 4 egg yolks ( depending on how rich you want it)
1 tablespoon vanilla
15-20 basil leaves

* Feel free to use your favorite basic ice cream recipe and infuse it with the basil leaves.

For the topping

2 cups boysenberries ( raspberries, blackberries or strawberries will work too.)
2-3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.


1) Place the milk and cream in a pot on the stove at medium heat. Bring to just under a boil.

2) Add the basil leaves, stir, cover and allow to steep for 20 minutes. I would recommend tying the basil leave together with a bit of string, I found them difficult to fish out. Remove the basil leaves from the milk/cream mixture.


3) While the mixture is steeping, beat together in a bowl, the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract.


4) Heat the milk/cream mixture up slightly over low heat.

5) Add a tablespoon( up to four tablespoons) at a time to the egg mixture, beat in well each time.

6) Slowly pour the egg mixture into the milk/cream with the heat on low. Stir constantly.


7) Once all the yolk mixture is added cook for several minutes until it clings to the spoon and thickens. This usually take a few minutes.

8) Remove from stove, cool a bit before storing in the fridge until completely chilled.

Boysenberry Balsamic Topping

2 cups boysenberries ( raspberries, blackberries or strawberries will work too.)
2-3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.

1) Place all three ingredients into a bowl.


2) Toss gently and allow to sit for 20 minutes.


Make the ice cream, allow to firm up in the freezer, then scoop and serve with the topping.

You will be amazed at how good this is !!









No comments:

Post a Comment