Saturday, September 24, 2011

Presto Pesto



It's basil season at our farmer's market and I recently mentioned on Facebook that I made pesto for dinner. Just as I figured someone asked me for my recipe, normally that wouldn't be a problem but it has been years since I have used a recipe to make my pesto.

Usually I just gather the ingredients.

Grated Parmesan cheese, fresh garlic, fresh basil and olive oil, those are my basics. It's fun to add nuts, pine nuts are traditional but expensive. I sometimes use walnuts, but I was out this time and tried pumpkin seeds.
So you have washed and removed your basil leaves from the stems, peeled your garlic and grated your cheese. Time to get out the food processor, you can use a blender but it usually will burn them out quickly.

I like to start with the garlic, and nuts, then the fresh basil.
 Now begin to add the olive oil until it makes a nice liquid sauce, toss in the grated cheese.
I like my pesto fairly loose. If it seems too stiff add more oil.

You can add a bit of salt now, and if you are feeling adventuresome, try some lemon juice or if you are feeling decadent try adding a tablespoon of butter. 

Finish blending it and serve on pasta or place in containers and freeze.

For those who want a true recipe try this one from the Food Network.
  • 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves 
  • 2 cloves garlic ( personally I would double that ;-)
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts or other nuts
  • 2/3 cup olive oil 
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese



No comments:

Post a Comment