Thursday, September 22, 2011

Saving Strawberries

We are lucky to still have lots of beautiful strawberries at our farmer's markets.
When my brother brought me some strawberries he had dried, I was amazed at how tasty they were. We immediately went to our farmer's market and bought a flat.
We dried half of them and froze the rest.

To dry them we simply cut them in half and laid them on the trays cut side up.

They took about a day to dry and made the house smell heavenly !!
It's surprising how much they shrink.


The dried ones are great as a snack, in hot cereal, granola, baked goods, trail mix.

To freeze the rest I line a baking sheet with waxed paper and cut them in half and then in half again. I cover them with another piece of waxed paper and freeze them over night. Then move them into a zip lock freezer bag for easy storage.
I use them in jams, desserts and smoothies.

This is great way to take advantage of fruit in season !!

No comments:

Post a Comment