Sunday, September 25, 2011

Roasted Tomato Sauce

I didn't feel like canning tomato sauce today but I had purchased 40 pounds of organic tomatoes and needed to process them in some way. I filled my dehydrator with some, made and froze tomato juice with some of them and decided to roast the rest. Bob hates to peel tomatoes so all these methods only required him to core them and slice them.

Preheat the oven to 450 F.
For roasting, I start by covering a cookie sheet with foil, then spraying it with olive oil.
Core then cut the tomatoes in half, placing them on the cookie sheet cut side up.
Spray them again with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt.
I also like to add 4-6  peeled cloves of garlic, you could add a chopped onion too.

Cook the tomatoes until they begin to caramelize, some may turn blackish. You can reduce the heat after the first 20 minutes if you don't want them to blacken. It  takes about an hour.
You could freeze them like this but I decided to make them into sauce instead.
Into the food processor they go, with another spoonful of salt, you could also add fresh herbs.
 Pulse it a few times...


I like to measure it into 2 cup portions. Pour it into labeled freezer bags, remove as much air as possible and freeze on a cookie sheet.
You can use this as a pasta sauce, pizza sauce, for soup, stew, or as a base for barbeque sauce, salsa...anything you can think of.

1 comment:

  1. I did my tomatoes today. I would have liked having a slicer/ dicer helper but all in all it took me about 3 hours and my yield was 6 + bags. I think it would have taken longer to can that much sauce. I probably will also can too though because I so enjoyed having jars of sauce last year.

    ReplyDelete