Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving's Eve, a few more ideas.

There are a few more things you can do ahead of time, especially if you like your meal earlier in the day like we do.

The day before I try to do as much as I can to free up the oven for that long turkey roast.

Tonight I will make my favorite yam casserole, this has become a family favorite. The sweetness of the yams, apple cider and maple syrup are set off by the sprigs of fresh rosemary.


I will also saute the vegetables and put together my stuffing so it will be ready to bake tomorrow when the turkey comes out of the oven to rest. Remember to let it rest at least 20 to 40 minutes depending on the size. Cover it with foil  loosely to retain the heat.

Here's what Alton Brown says about cooking your stuffing in the bird.

" When it comes to turkey, Stuffing Is Evil. That's because stuffing goes into the middle of the bird and is extremely porous. That means that as the turkey around it cooks, juices that may contain salmonella bacteria soak into the stuffing, which then must be cooked to a minimum of 165°F in order to be safe. Getting the stuffing to this temperature usually means overcooking the turkey.
The way I see it, cooking stuffing inside a turkey turns the turkey into a rather costly seal-a-meal bag. If you're a stuffing fan, I suggest cooking it separately (in which case it's "dressing," not stuffing) and inserting it into the bird while it rests. Odds are no one will notice the difference."

Personally I like the crusty edges that form when you cook the stuffing in the baking dish. I do like Alton's compromise of stuffing the bird after it and the stuffing have cooked.

Pies: they can be made ahead as well. In fact pumpkin pie is better the next day in my opinion.

For me Thanksgiving is about being thankful for the people in my life. Enjoy !!

There's the crew form last year's gathering.

No comments:

Post a Comment