Sunday, January 25, 2015

Vegetable Soup

The other day I decided to revisit one of my earliest posts for cannellini bean and kale soup.
It such a great recipe for any vegetable soup. I had an assortment of vegetables in my fridge that needed using up: cauliflower, carrots, a celery root, mushrooms, kale etc...

I started by sauteing the onion, while it was softening in a separate pan I began to cook the mushrooms, partly because I wanted use half of them for a different dish and partly because they do release a lot of moisture when cooking. I wanted some of the veggies to roast/saute a bit before adding the liquid, it keeps them from turning to mush in the soup.
 Next I added the carrot , cauliflower and celery root, let them cook some before adding the mushrooms, greens, beans and liquids.
I used the mushroom liquid, water, the last of some miso, two frozen tomatoes. I think I threw some herbs in there somewhere and some garlic. If you want a more precise recipe check out the one mentioned above.

 I let it simmer for about 45 minutes, not too long so the veggies would retain some texture.

At the end I added a teaspoon or two of apple cider vinegar , salt and pepper to taste. It was soooo good, we had it for three meals last week and Bob requested it again this week. Of course, it won't be exactly the same because this week I have different vegetable to use up but that's part of the joy of vegetable soup !!

No comments:

Post a Comment