Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Radish greens, who knew ??

She has done it again. I am referring to my daughter, she too is a major food freak.

She will try anything and everything. Over the holidays she was doing something with our carrot greens, which I mostly ignored.

 Recently she tried turnip green which she pronounced too bitter, next she tried radish greens and had to tell me all about them. This time I listened, sort of, actually Bob was the one who bought the radishes at the farmer's market last weekend. He topped the radishes, carefully cleaned the green and put them in a glass container in the fridge.





The other morning I was getting eggs out to make breakfast when I spied those radish greens. That same daughter has gotten me into the habit of putting something green in my eggs, usually spinach, I have ventured into other more traditional and non traditional greens. Those radish greens called to me. I grabbed a small handful and tossed them into my pan with a little butter, you could use olive oil.
I gave them a minute or two to wilt and then added my two egg whites. I am not a fan of egg yolks, it has nothing to do with cholesterol, just personal preference. I save them to make lemon curd, that will be another post.

I added a little salt and pepper, flipped them over to finish cooking.

With a piece of my homemade whole wheat toast, I had a delightful breakfast. The radish greens are amazingly mild and sweet, not at all like the radish itself, they also give a nice crunch to the eggs.



Moral of this story....listen to your daughter, don't be afraid to try new things !!

PS: Did you know people will actually ask to have the greens removed from the beets at the farmer's market because they don't want them ? Daughter taught us that trick too, ask if they have any leftover beet greens, free produce ! Now we will start asking for radish greens too ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment