Sunday, February 1, 2015

Roasted Brussel Sprout salad

No, it's not a new form of torture, although I am sure for some of you that's how it sounds.
I had a version of this salad a month ago from a local bakery/cafe, The Buttery, it was part of a picnic with my dad. Now that he can no longer go out for lunch when my sister and husband come over to see him, we bring a picnic to his place. We usually dine outside on the patio in the sun.

Back to the Brussel sprout salad...I am a fan of this tiny crucifer, but I think this might sway even those with an aversion. Roasting them brings out their natural sweetness which is complemented by the the tart cranberries. I made up my own recipe after tasting the version done by the Buttery.
I used a simple French mustard vinaigrette for the dressing.
If you are not on a plant based diet, the use of bacon grease gives it a nice smoky flavor ;-)

Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad

Ingredients
1 pound fresh sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
1/2 red onion chopped into 1 inch chunks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup dried cranberries

Dressing
juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme ( optional)


1) Preheat the oven to 400 F. Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray lightly with olive oil.

Or here's what I did... I always bake my bacon so when it was done baking, I used that same cookie sheet to roast my Brussel sprouts. If there is a lot of grease, pour some off, you just need a thin coating to give the sprouts that smoky flavor.


 2) While the oven is preheating, wash, trim and chop the sprout in half, chop the onion into inch long strips.

3) Toss together in a bowl with 2 teaspoons of olive oil.

4) Pour onto your cookie sheet, distribute evenly.

5) Roast for 10 minutes, then give them a stir and roast for 5 more minutes.

6) While they are roasting you can make the dressing.
 In a bowl mix together the mustard, lemon juice, salt and thyme.

7) Slowly whisk in the olive oil.

8) Once the sprouts and onions are done, toss them in a bowl with the cranberries and the dressing.

9) Allow to chill before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment