Friday, May 29, 2020

Swedish Limpa Bread

I had a good laugh as making bread became such a new passion during Shelter in Place. Stores ran out of flour, yeast was scarce and people were leaving Zoom meetings to tend their sourdough starters.
I have been making my own bread for over 20 years on a regular basis, ever since I bought my first bread machine. I know purist may complain but I love my bread machine, with it, making my own bread becomes manageable.
 I have a soft childhood memory of a neighbor bringing over this very different kind of homemade bread, at least it was different from what was in our home in the late 50's and early 60's.  For some reason the name stuck with me like a sweet melody...Swedish Limpa Bread.
I was excited to find a recipe in my favorite bread machine recipe book: Bread Machine Magic (Linda Reghberg & Lois Conway). These days I have the machine make the dough and then I shape it into loaves, let it rise and then bake it myself.

Swedish Limpa Bread
This recipe makes two 6 inch loaves.

Ingredients...put them into your bread machine in this order.
1 1/4 cup water
2 1/2 cup bread flour
1 cup rye flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
grated rind of two oranges
2 teaspoon active dry yeast

1) Set the machine to "dough", on my machine it's 90 minutes.
If you are making this bread without a machine...you are on your own and I sure you can figure out how to get it to work.

2) Once the dough is done remove from the machine and form into two round loaves.

3) Place them on a lined baking sheet ( I use silicon mats, parchment works as well).

4) Dust the tops of the loaves lightly with flour and score with a cross hatch.



5) Heat your oven on the lowest setting for two minutes.

6) Cover the loaves with a clean dish towel and place in the barely warm oven for 50-60 minutes.

7) Remove the loaves ( and the dish towel) and preheat the oven to 375 F

8) Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on the bottom.

9) Cool on a rack and enjoy !!



Notes
These loaves freeze beautifully.
They make great toast with a bit of orange marmalade.
I have experimented with using 3/4-1 cup whole wheat bread flour for some of the white flour.
It works well, making a slightly denser loaf.







No comments:

Post a Comment